School Funding & Free School Meals Eligibility
As you are probably aware, the school receives funding from a range of sources. One such source is known as The Pupil Deprivation Grant. This grant allows us to target a range of support measures to those pupils whose families have low incomes. National statistics have shown that these pupils have, in the past, tended not to do as well in school as pupils from more affluent backgrounds. The measure that is used by the Welsh Government is eligibility for free school meals. If your child is eligible for free school meals then it is vitally important that you register even if you don’t wish for your child to have them. Every registered child increases the grant that the school receives. This money will be used directly to support our pupils from low income backgrounds inside and outside of the classroom. An example of some of the benefits are:
- 50% of school trip costs for FSM pupils will be paid by the school
- FSM pupils in Y6 are eligible for funding for helping with the purchase of school uniform for their transition to secondary school.
- The school can employ additional support staff to target the academic, social and emotional needs of pupils.
- The school can fund curricular and extra-curricular activities to give pupils a range of experiences that they might not otherwise get due to financial restrictions, e.g. musical performances, theatre visits, visiting artists, sports coaching etc.
Free School Meals are available to children whose parents/guardian receives one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, but DO NOT receive Working Tax Credit, and their annual income(as assessed by the Inland Revenue) does not exceed £16,190 (from 6th April 2013) unless Working Tax Credit is part of a four week run on.
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit
If you feel you meet the above criteria and would like to apply then you can get all the relevant information and apply online at:
Alternatively you can ring the Free School Meals Section of Carmarthenshire County Council on 01267 246521 or email: email@example.com
We would be happy to help in any way we can as we feel it is so important that ALL children are given the same opportunities regardless of financial circumstances. If you wish to discuss this further then please pop in and see me.